Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ondoy Toy Victims

It's almost been a year since the super typhoon known as Ondoy hit the Philippines. Due to the typhoon (and other stuff that I won't try to explain here), most of Metro Manila was submerged in floods. The place I lived in was one of the heavily affected ones, with water going above the waist in the whole area.

This is the 2nd time I've been to the Philippines after Ondoy, and the 1st time I had enough time to go through my toy collection and see the extent of the damage that Ondoy had done.



I had 3 cabinets of toys, comics, and DVD's. 2 cabinets were left, so around 1/3 of my collection was lost.


Most of the damage was done to the stuff found at the bottom half of the cabinets. We can see from the pics above that there's less stuff found here than on the pics above.


And here are some toys that were displaced. Most of them are really useless now and will most probably find themselves in the trash.

The pics above were taken before I cleaned them. In case you're wondering what some of them looked like before cleaning them up, here's a pic of Spy Changer Scourge:


It actually took me 2 days just to clean up the toys found at the bottom half of the cabinets, and what could be salvaged from the displaced toys. I made it a point to clean them with disinfectant as well to make sure that they're not only clean, but also hygienic to hold. I don't want people getting sick after holding the toys.

So what now? Well, I've made a decision that it might be best just to sell these toys off at a very low price. In fact, I've already made this decision even before Ondoy. One reason is that I've already moved from the house (and the country, in fact), that it's already becoming a hassle for my family to manage the toys and that they're just getting dirty and neglected. In fact, I've already started (and hopefully, nearing the end) of my 2nd batch of toys here in Singapore.
Another thing is that extra cash is always good to have :)

In the end, these toys are just a hobby and I thank God that it wasn't worse, especially after seeing my family safe and sound after the tragedy known as Ondoy.
I'm sure compared to what other people suffered during that time, this is no big deal to say the least.

2 comments:

Mickey said...

I collect toys too.
I don't have much, but I do love the figures that I have.
-
Tonight, as I write this, it's currently raining, and I got a leak in my room ~_~;
-
Then it crossed my mind what would've happened if I lived in those areas that got badly hit by Ondoy. What would've became of my toys...
-
I searched the net for collectors like me who had been a victim of Ondoy & found your post :D
-
I sympathize with you man.

mauz20 said...

thanks, Mickey!